Sydney’s “Coathanger” - The Sydney Harbour BridgeAfter the First World War a general design for the Sydney Harbour Bridge was prepared by Dr J J C Bradfield and officers of the NSW Department of Public Works. The New South Wales Government then invited worldwide tenders for the construction of the Bridge in 1922 and the contract was let to English firm Dorman Long and Co of Middlesbrough.The Sydney Harbour Bridge construction started in 1924 andtook 1,400 men eight years to build at a cost of $4.2 million.Six million hand driven rivets and 53,000 tonnes of steel were used in its construction. The Bridge had its official opening on 19 March 1932. Beforethe NSW Premier, the Honourable John 'Jack' T. Lang, could cut the ribbon to signify the opening of the Harbour Bridge, Captain Francis De Groot of the political group The New Guard slashed the ribbon with his sword. Captain De Groot believed that the only person to open the Bridge should be a member of the Royal Family. Captain De Groot was detained, the ribbon tied together, and the Premier then officially cut the ribbon.