Cadman's Cottage is located in The Rocks and is the oldest surviving residential building in Sydney. It was built in1816 for the use of the governmental coxswains and their crews.Cadman’s Cottage was named after John Cadman who was sent to Australia in 1797 for stealing a horse. He was pardoned by Governor Macquarie in 1821. He lived In Cadman's Cottage as a Superintendent of boats with his wife and his two step daughters. He retired in 1845. This position was abolished after he retired.Before Circular Quay was built the tide would come within 8 feet from Cadman's Cottage and during the building of Circular Quay it changed the tide to being 100 meters away.